Circumstances and barriers for students vary widely across communities. Our local approach allows us to identify the unique needs in our community and leverage resources to make a difference in the lives of our young people.
Across our community, challenges vary for each school, family, and individual student. Different kids have different needs. Some need academic help. Some need a stable home, food on the table, or someone who will listen and help guide the way. Others simply need a pair of eyeglasses, school supplies, or shoes that fit.
Helping kids move beyond their circumstances requires a whole child approach, not one-size-fits-all. We treat students as individuals and address their specific challenges.
CIS of Benton-Franklin works with school and community leaders to determine how to best support local youth, guided by a set of essentials that every child needs and deserves (the Five Basics). Though the services may differ in each community, all Communities In Schools affiliates use an integrated student support model to deliver a mix of the following:
- Academic Assistance: Young people who fall behind often stay behind. We help kids catch up and get ahead with individualized academic support.
- Basic Needs: Providing basics like food and clothing enables young people to come to school comfortable, nourished and better prepared to learn.
- Enrichment: Through before and after school activities, we expand young people’s understanding of what the world has to offer.
- Life Skills: Through one-to-one mentoring and group coaching, we instill in students the confidence to succeed, the belief that education creates opportunity, and set the expectation for success.
- Family Engagement: We help children have a supportive home life by helping parents access the services they need.
- Behavioral Intervention: Negative behavior undermines learning. We help kids learn to modify behavior and make positive choices.
- College & Career Prep: We assist young people in identifying their vision for the future so they have a clear goal and motivation to overcome difficult circumstances.
- Physical & Mental Health: For kids to be the best learners, they need healthy bodies and minds. We connect them to physical, dental, vision, and mental health services regardless of ability to pay.
- Community Service: By giving back in their neighborhoods, youth feel a sense of belonging, accomplishment, and value.
Our Services in Schools
School-based site coordinators empower students to stay in school through individualized access to needed resources, and ongoing encouragement and guidance to build confidence to reach their potential and achieve their dreams.